The Manor of Coppull

 
 

Coppull

 

The Descent of the Manor of Coppull 

The de Coppull family were the first Lords of the Manor. Thomas was the son of Richard de Coppull gave lands in Coppull to Burscough Priory somewhere between 1230 ands 1264. In 1461 William, son of William de Coppull sold his lands in Coppull (as well as Duxbury and Chorley) to Sir Thomas Stanley. His son, also called Thomas, became the first earl of Derby. The Derbys were amongst the most important families in the north of England during the 16th and 17th centuries, keenly supporting the Royalist side during the Civil War.

 In 1595, Ferdinando, the fifth earl, died in suspicious circumstances and did not leave a male heir. Some of his titles and lands passed to his younger brother, William, but a substantial part of his estate went to his daughters. William fought an expensive legal battle to win the bulk of his brother’s estates. He appears to have sold the Manor of Coppull to help pay for this fight.

In 1600 the manor had come into the hands of Baptiste Hicks, a citizen of London and a mercer, and he and his servant sold it to Edward Rigby, who was a supporter of the Earls of Derby and already owned land at Burgh on the edge of Birkacre. 

The Rigby’s owned land locally and used Burgh as a principal residence. It was debt that also lost the Rigby’s the Manor of Coppull. In 1714 Alexander Rigby was released from debtors’ prison and many of his lands were slowly sold off to pay his debts. Around this time, some of the holdings of the manor were sold off. In 1720 Hugh Mills bought the Manor and sold it in 1727 to Daniel Dandy for £19,200. Dandy was acting as trustee for the Reverend John Pearson and his lawyer, Nicholas Woosey. In 1731, Pearson became the owner outright of the Manor and set about to consolidate his hold over Coppull and make his new possession pay for itself, by strictly enforcing his manorial privileges with the help of his lawyer Nicholas Woosey and by the enclosure of the commons and wastes of Coppull. He may also have undertaken some building work in the village as the barn at Coppull Hall farmhouse bears a datestone with his initials. Pearson was also interested in coal mining, and appears to have been mining his estates at Crook in Shevington.

John Pearson died in 1749 and his widow Anne followed him in 1754. The following year, under the terms of his will, third shares in the Manor went to his two daughters, Margaret and Jane and his son in law Robert Livesey, who was married to his daughter Anne. He had previously disinherited his cousin William Curghey of Swindley in Wigan in 1747.  In 1761, Jane Pearson bought the Manor outright, although her sister and brother in law retained third shares in the coal works they had commenced in Coppull. Jane Pearson remained unmarried and ended her days living in the fashionable St Anne’s Square in Manchester. When she died in 1795, the Manor passed to the children of the son of her sister Anne and Robert Livesey. John Pearson Livesey inherited the  Manor along with his sisters: Mary, Frances, Elizabeth and Anne.

The manor together with all its lands was sold in 1812. By the 1840s, much of the old manor estate together with other lands in the village, had been acquired by James Cardwell.